Monday, March 14, 2011

3.14.11 What are the types of Multiple Sclerosis? (cont'd)

What are the types of Multiple Sclerosis?

About a month after my stay in the hospital I had another exacerabation. This one involved Banding:

Banding is a symptom of multiple sclerosis in which someone feels as if they have a tight band around their chest or pressure on one side of their torso. The effect is sometimes referred to as the 'MS hug'. Some people experience a similar symptom in their hands or feet, where it feels as though they are constantly wearing gloves or boots.

The effect is an example of dysaesthesia or altered sensation which can also occur as pins and needles, burning sensations or numbness. The symptom occurs when messages from sensory nerves are blocked or disrupted. These symptoms are classed as a form of pain.

Although uncomfortable, the symptom usually passes without treatment. Some people find that creating an actual cause for a feeling of tightness (e.g. wearing tight clothing, or a close fitting top or a glove on the affected hand) can lessen the impact of the discomfort of the symptom.

Reference: Burgess M., Multiple sclerosis: theory and practice for nurses, London: Whurr; 2002

Since this was my second potential relapse, and would confirm a diagnosis, my doctor sent me for an MRI. This time the scan was of my cervical spine instead of my brain. The banding was along the line of my bra strap. The MRI showed a lesion right where I was feeling the 'MS Hug'.

This meant that I had a diagnosis of Relapsing-Remitting MS.


Multiple Sclerosis Treatment Medication

Since I had an official diagnosis, I could start medication. My options were Avonex, Betaseron, or Copaxone, all of which are injections, either daily or several times a week. Avonex and Betaseron are both interferons which are injected either subcutaneously or intra-mulscularly. An interferon works using a broad spectrum approach, meaning that the MS is not targeted directly. The most major side effects of interferons are flu-like symptoms. Usually by the time the patient has gotten over the side effects, it is time for the next injection.

I decided on Copaxone, a daily injection. Although it seems like you might want to have a break from sticking yourself with a needle, I preferred the regularity.

Q: How does COPAXONE (glatiramer acetate injection) work in my body?

A: COPAXONE is a unique therapy that is thought to work both outside and inside the central nervous system (CNS) to fight the effects of multiple sclerosis 3-5

COPAXONE is believed to work with your immune system to change the way it reacts to MS by both preventing harmful immune cells from developing and simultaneously stimulating the production of beneficial immune cells in your body. These "good" COPAXONE-activated cells then enter the CNS and help reduce inflammation and damage at the site of the lesions. 3

3. Miller A, Shapiro S, Gershtein R, et al. J Neuroimmunol 1998-92(1-2): 113-121 4. Ziemssen T, Kumpfel T, Klinkert WE, Neuhaus O, Hohfield R. Brain 2002: 125(Pt11): 2381-2391 5. Chen M, Valenzuela RM, Dhib-Jalbut S. J Neurol Sci. 2003:215(1-2): 37-44.


http://www.sharedsolutions.com/Get-Answers/copaxonefaqs.aspx

This all happened in 2002. Since then I have switched injections as well as taken other medications for the manifestations of MS. I'm going to keep that topic for another day.

If you have any questions or comments, you have an option to do so at the bottom of this post.

'til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment