Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Only two weeks until our trip to the Bahamas

So, I had my fifth (and final, for now) day of treatment today. It feels like my symptoms are still getting worse. I thought that I would see some improvement by now. Currently, the symptoms are as follows: my legs are always numb up to the knee, periodic spasticity in my thighs, the "MS hug"-a banding of numbness around my midsection from the bottom of my ribs all the way to the top of my thighs, tingly right hand, no use of my left arm, and some itching and neuropathy on the left side of my neck.


We have a vacation at Sandals in the Bahamas starting on February 3, just under two weeks away. Normally, I would be very excited. We planned this trip in August thinking that it would be a great time to get away from the cold. This certainly made sense at the time. However, the prospect of trying to travel when my body is not working this kind of discouraging. We've called Sandals to see if there's a chance that we can postpone our vacation. We talked to several people from the resort to see what they could do for us. Each person asked us if we had purchased travel insurance. Unfortunately we did not. We requested an exemption due to medical circumstances. The first person we spoke with told us that change our reservation it would cost $200 per person to change our sandals booking and $150 per person to change our airfare reservation. This did not seem like a good option so we asked to speak to their supervisor. The person that we were directed to give us the same information. Again, we tried to climb the ladder ever given the same spiel. We even asked if a letter from my doctor would help. No such luck. I realize that we should have purchased the travel insurance. But you think that in the interest of customer service Sandals try to see what they could do for us. I thought that at this point we were SOL. I was wrong (maybe). I was talking to my parents last night, telling them about our experience. My mom offered to called Sandals and see what she could do to help. She contacted them today and was given the same statement. Long story short, she managed to get a supervisor to agree to help. My mom was told that if we could get a letter from my doctor explaining my condition and the current circumstances, the supervisor would bring it up with her manager to see if we could get the change fees waived. We're not there yet, but at least it's a step in the right direction. Think positive thoughts for us, please.

Hopefully, the IVIG treatments will start to work. The plan is for me to call my doctors in a week to update them on my condition. They decided to keep the PICC line in for the week in case I need another treatment given the difficulty of the initial placement.

I guess at this point the waiting game. I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment