Saturday, November 13, 2010
Monday, April 27, 2009
Our trip to the Bahamas
, we went on a booze cruise around Nassau Harbor.Monday, March 16, 2009
while I've been away (cont'd)
I was brought down for my plasmapharesis to the unit also used for kidney dialysis. I was wheeled down there in my bed, which I was to be very thankful for later. Bill, one of the nurses, was going to be coordinating my first treatment. He attached the tubes from me to the machine and the process was started. My blood (not all of it of course) was removed and sent through the centrifuge. This process is used to exctract my plasma from my blood. Then, my blood was reinfused along with new plasma, or in this case, Albumin. My understanding is that this solution is easier to tolerate, so I was started out with this instead of plasma. Before each treatment, blood is drawn to check levels of different parts of my blood. From this, the nurses could see if the infusion plan needed to be changed a bit to include a combination of plasma and Albumin.
The first part of my infusion went relatively well. I was told to let the nurses and doctors know if I felt any tingliness around my mouth. This is a sign of low calcium. As it turns out, towards the end of my treatment, I started to feel some tingling around my mouth. I was also feeling tingling throughout my whole body, but because of the specific numbness around my mouth, I was given a calcium bolus. Unfortunately, this didn't seem to do a lot for me. I was then given a dose of Benadryl, in case of an allergic reaction. Again, this didn't have much effect on how I was feeling. I started to feel even worse. My entire body was feeling numb - my arms and legs felt heavy like I wasn't able to move anything. I was also have some difficulty breathing. Neither the hematology doctor or the nurse taking care me thought that I was having an allergic reaction, so the best solution was to wait for this feeling to end. Apparently, the change in the level of fluids in the body can have a dramatic effect on how you feel.
For about 30 - 45 minutes, I waited for this feeling to subside. It did eventually, but I was exhausted. For this reason, I was very happy that I had been transported down to dialysis in my bed. Whew! I made it through the first appointment. Now, just 4 to go. There's a rest day between each treatment, so my next appointment would be on Monday.
Saturday, February 28, 2009
while I've been away
Dr. Panitch called me on Thursday evening to tell me about the results of the MRI. He suggested that we try plasmapheresis since the steroid treatments and the IVIG hadn't worked. Antibodies are transported in the plasma, so the theory is that, by removing my plasma, the antibodies that have been attacking my nerves would be removed as well. I was admitted that night.
My understanding was that I would be admitted for a couple of days to see how I reacted to the treatment, and then be discharged to finish the remaining treatments as an outpatient. Before anything could be started, however, I had to have an Ash Split inserted into my chest for the procedures. When I was admitted on Thursday night, I was told that this would be put in early the next day. Unfortunately, I had to wait until late afternoon on Friday for this to happen. At this point it was too late to start plasmapheresis, so I would have my first treatment on Saturday morning.
Saturday, January 24, 2009
I don't feel well. I really wish this would go away.
Last night, as I was getting ready to leave work, my left shoulder went into spasm. I'm pretty sure that it's due to the fact that I can't really use my left arm and the muscles are trying to compensate. I can't turn on the faucet with my left hand or even flush the toilet. My legs are getting more tingly and just walking down the stairs to the basement is exhausting. I'm getting so frustrated.
I don't know what else to say except that I just really wish this relapse would be over and done with.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Only two weeks until our trip to the Bahamas
So, I had my fifth (and final, for now) day of treatment today. It feels like my symptoms are still getting worse. I thought that I would see some improvement by now. Currently, the symptoms are as follows: my legs are always numb up to the knee, periodic spasticity in my thighs, the "MS hug"-a banding of numbness around my midsection from the bottom of my ribs all the way to the top of my thighs, tingly right hand, no use of my left arm, and some itching and neuropathy on the left side of my neck.
We have a vacation at Sandals in the Bahamas starting on February 3, just under two weeks away. Normally, I would be very excited. We planned this trip in August thinking that it would be a great time to get away from the cold. This certainly made sense at the time. However, the prospect of trying to travel when my body is not working this kind of discouraging. We've called Sandals to see if there's a chance that we can postpone our vacation. We talked to several people from the resort to see what they could do for us. Each person asked us if we had purchased travel insurance. Unfortunately we did not. We requested an exemption due to medical circumstances. The first person we spoke with told us that change our reservation it would cost $200 per person to change our sandals booking and $150 per person to change our airfare reservation. This did not seem like a good option so we asked to speak to their supervisor. The person that we were directed to give us the same information. Again, we tried to climb the ladder ever given the same spiel. We even asked if a letter from my doctor would help. No such luck. I realize that we should have purchased the travel insurance. But you think that in the interest of customer service Sandals try to see what they could do for us. I thought that at this point we were SOL. I was wrong (maybe). I was talking to my parents last night, telling them about our experience. My mom offered to called Sandals and see what she could do to help. She contacted them today and was given the same statement. Long story short, she managed to get a supervisor to agree to help. My mom was told that if we could get a letter from my doctor explaining my condition and the current circumstances, the supervisor would bring it up with her manager to see if we could get the change fees waived. We're not there yet, but at least it's a step in the right direction. Think positive thoughts for us, please.
Hopefully, the IVIG treatments will start to work. The plan is for me to call my doctors in a week to update them on my condition. They decided to keep the PICC line in for the week in case I need another treatment given the difficulty of the initial placement.
I guess at this point the waiting game. I'll keep you posted...